Saturday, July 25, 2009

Google Latitude

I just don't get it. Why would you want to show your friends (and maybe strangers) where you are? If your friends or family want to know where you are then surely they can just text you or ring you. I can't see my mum hopping onto Latitude to see where I am when no-one answers the house phone, she will ring me and ask.

Another point that strikes me as stupid about it as well is the lack of a native iPhone app. This is apparently down to Apple thinking users will get it confused with the Maps app (via TUAW.) Anyone that downloads Latitude is going to know what its for. Apple needs to let go of the reins a little and give the App Store some freedom. The lack of push notifications must annoy the hell out of Latitude users.

If you use Latitude tell me why you do in the comments. Also if you are on an iPhone let me know how the experience is.

1 comment:

  1. There are some good business applications for Google Latitude but at this stage surely it's just a great tech demo waiting for a killer application.

    ReplyDelete